There are some affiliate links below, but they are all products I highly recommend. For more info, view my disclosure here.
Yesterday was Roxy’s rescueversary! I can’t believe it’s been 4 years since a tiny, bobblehead puppy came into our lives. She’s so full of love and drama and we can’t imagine our lives without her crazy antics. To celebrate, I made a “birthday” cake for Roxy & Rico to enjoy. It ended up being the easiest cake I’ve made, and they scarfed it right up. Read on for the recipe!
Roxy’s Super Simple Cake Recipe
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- A sprinkle of Crushed Egg Shells (optional)
- 1/2 cup Fresh or Canned Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 4 tbsp Pumpkin
- 1 tsp Hemp Oil (Can substitute with Fish Oil, Coconut Oil, etc.)
1) Grease an 8″ cake pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Mix the dry ingredients (baking soda and flour) together, and add a sprinkle of my favorite ingredient of crushed up egg shells if you have available.
3) Mix the wet ingredients (pumpkin, egg, coconut oil, and applesauce) together.
4) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5) Bake for 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
6) Cool on wire rack until ready to frost.
7) Slice and serve for happy pups!
A note on the crushed egg shells: this is a fantastic way to boost their calcium intake! I recently got an Instant Pot (I LOVE THAT THING!) and make hard-boiled eggs regularly. After peeling eggs, I save the shells and let them dry out. I then crush them with a mortar/pestle (I have this one) and keep in a spice jar to sprinkle on their food.
This recipe was super easy, and I’m sure substitutions can be made. Next time I might try switching mashed bananas for the applesauce to give it some variety. Despite her face, Roxy LOVED IT.
Not a fan of DIY baking, or just plain don’t have time? Don’t worry, I gotchu…check out this adogable cake kit! It’s got all the dry ingredients ready to go. It’s so cute I may have to try it next time! Plus, it comes with that sweet bone cake pan, so I feel like I neeeeeeed it!